Friday, March 1, 2013

Another "To-Do List" item crossed off...

Yesterday, I purchased and installed a pellet stove.

So far, I'm delighted with the product.  It is quiet, efficient, and heats the house amazingly well.  Better than I expected, to be frank.  All that is left to do is some cosmetic adjustments once the heating season is done, and getting it up on our homeowners insurance today.

Worse case scenario:  I use an entire ton of fuel every months of a heating season, and lets say that season lasts six months (Oct-Mar).  The very best pellets I can buy run about $265 a ton (50 x 40-lbs bags) and a bag of fuel lasts roughly 8-10 hours.   That just under $1,600 a season in fuel bills.

The same season with fuel OIL would cost me just under $400 a month, for a seasonal bill of $2,400... plus the inconvenience of oil delivery which demands minimum fill amounts and fees.  With fuel oil it is 150 gallons at a time, or nothing at all (and that equals roughly $575).

Since I don't expect to see a "worse case scenario"... I'm going to see this stove pay for itself in less than two years.  I'm saving AT LEAST $800 a year over fuel oil alone.

Drawbacks?

The blower and motor do make a little noise, but not much at all. In fact, less than the furnace did.  The air in the house is AMAZINGLY dry... enough so that we all felt it by bedtime last night.  A small kettle of water on the stove should help offset the dryness, but the purchase of a humidifier probably needs some consideration.  The pellets themselves are very dusty, and that dust gets everywhere when filling the stove.  Not sure how we are going to combat that, but it seems a small price right now.


No comments: