Friday, June 13, 2014

A request...

We are rapidly coming up to the half-way point of 2014, and we have barely reached 20 posts.  At this rate, we'll finish the year with less than a hundred posts... our worst showing ever.

F Ryan is a prolific texter... I can count on at least three or four multi-page texts from him a week.  I know, in the past, he has been upset (at best) or hurt (at worst) that I do not respond to his texts.  I simply hate texting.  If we are going to communicate with the written word, at least allow me a real keyboard, a comfortable chair and some background music to type by.  Do not force me to stab at a tiny screen on my phone, while hunched over a pit stand hoping the bums on the catwalk aren't snapping 8'x10' glossy images to send down to my managers showing how much "work" I'm doing.

I just got done listening to Josh Waitzkin (of Searching for Bobby Fischer fame) in a podcast, and he talks about his work outside of chess and martial arts... and it is focused on the learning processes we all follow (or choose not to follow) and how they effect our creativity in our daily lives.

I can tell you now that I am less of a "man" since we have stopped "Bunding"... and as humorous as that may sound, it is undeniably true.  Posting here on the Bund isn't simply "writing"... it is a creative and intellectual process that I think well and truly shaped my mind over the course of the last 10 years (including the mail list years, of course).  The creative process isn't simply a tool, nor is it inherently available to anyone that wants it, whenever it is convenient.  It is a process that requires effort and discipline, and returns many times its initial cost.  If you doubt me, then ask Jambo... he can back me up.

Let's resurrect the Bund.  Let's all work to make the time to voice our thoughts here.  This is something I miss, and it (meaning YOU GUYS) challenges me to get better at it every time I post.

What say you?

No comments: