Thursday, March 8, 2012

There is a difference, you know...

Even for conservatives, there is a real difference between Obamacare and Romneycare that no one seems to take into consideration, in the past, now or in the foreseeable future:

Obamacare is a Federally mandated requirement, while Romney's plan was formed, implemented and operated at a strictly State level.  I, for one, don't have an issue with Romneycare at all... not one.  I can say that with clear conscience because I don't live in Mass.  When the same plan is implemented on a Federal level, though... I have issues.

If a State such as MA wants to require employers to maintain certain levels of insurance for all employees at no cost to the employee, and this proves to be too expensive for corporations and small businesses to float and still turn a profit, what happens?  They close their doors and go somewhere else where there are no such requirements.  That is no skin off my back, living where I do in PA.

To the best of my knowledge, Romney has never advocated support for such a plan on a national level.  In fact, he's dodged the issues to no end now because I'm not sure he hasn't seen the error of his ways just in how MA has moved since his plan went into effect... but that isn't something he's going to want to discuss now, is it?

That doesn't negate your point, though... and I'm not inclined to argue with you.  Still, in my opinion, should Santorum win and NOT choose Romney as a running mate, he is handicapping himself in a huge manner.

No comments: