Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Irony, on my radio...

I'm driving home last night, and turned on the radio.  Not satellite radio, but the traditional terrestrial kind... and I was listening to the Phillies broadcast of the Twins-Phillies game at Target Field in Minnesota.  Because it was Philly's first trip to the three-year-old Minnesota park, the announcers for Philadelphia took some time and described the park in real detail for the home audience back here in PA... concluding that the park is very "pitcher-friendly" with its 23' high walls in left field and 411' to right center.

This analysis was followed immediately (and I do mean immediately... first at-bat for the Twins) by a towering home run by Span off of Kendrick, who hadn't given up a home run in weeks of play.  Second inning, second at-bat... Ploufe hits a two-run banger off the upper deck face to take the Twins into a 3-0 lead.  The final (so I don't go into a play-by-play scenario here) was 11-7 Twins over the Phillies.

I'm a Twins fan... but I have to admit that I love listening to Scott Franzke (sp?) on the Phillies Radio broadcasts.  He's really good... and it was a double treat to hear him talk so nice about Target Field and the turn-around that the Twins have managed since their nearly nightmarish start to the MLB season, then to have to talk through a Twins win with three homers against a vaunted Philly bullpen.  What was described as a "pitcher-friendly" park saw a slugfest of hits each and every inning... 31 hits total, 17 of them by Twins batters.

Very nice, indeed.

No comments: