Saturday, June 2, 2012

SATs...

Nolan, our 17-year-old, is taking his SATs today.

This could go one of two ways, I figure...

The boy is SMART.  There is no chance that I could hope to help him in math, he's simply too far above my math ability to help.  He loves science, and is very good at it.  He struggles to read, though... not because he can't, but because he doesn't want to.  I worry that his reading portions might suffer because of that.

He could really do well at this test.  He did so-so at the PSATs, and only took it once (Katey took it twice, and our neighbor took it four times)... but he didn't take it serious in any way.  It was just another wasted afternoon for him.

I tried, without nagging him, to instill that this was an important test for him and that he should take it seriously.  His mother will do the same all the way to the testing site, I'm sure.  If he is serious about the test, he could score will into the 1900s I think... but if he blows this off as another "chore", we might have to do this all again in 3 months, because I'm not going to accept anything less than 1700 from him in this.  The boy is simply too smart to score less than the top 80%.

He had a good sleep, a good breakfast, and had all his pencils sharpened.  Good luck, Nolan!

No comments: