Thursday, November 12, 2009

Where is the line, though?

I see your point about foregoing the "pc" in favor of security... I really am. I just want to know where the line is between prudent investigation and infringements on the rights of the citizens.

I don't feel that any NEW laws or procedures need to be instituted, though. Surely there must be enough existing laws to allow agencies such as the FBI or more local law enforcement entities to find the people who are propagating the hatred and violence that threatens our society. New laws will only further marginalize Muslims and/or hamper those conducting the investigation... so why carry it further?

My concerns with things like the Patriot Act stemmed only from the ability of such investigations to broaden beyond the scope of a known criminal act, and that such investigations were then made available to nearly every government agency in existence... not from a perceived lack of need for such a thing, I assure you. I can live with the Patriot Act, but I don't want any NEW laws that would broaden the scope of the Patriot Act.

If investigations into the conduct and conversations that go on in mosques and Muslim community centers is seen to give probable cause for investigation, then I also feel that those causes need to be made instantly available to anyone that might be questioning the reasoning for such investigations. If our law enforcement techniques are to be accepted and trusted, they must be transparent in their reasoning and intent, if not in their methods (which might compromise security). Otherwise, we are denying the validity and value of our First Amendment rights as defined by the Constitution, and validating every negative thing people like bin Laden are saying about the USA.

No comments: