Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On our facts...

Ryan wrote:

"... of believing in the notion that because the USA is the longest surviving democracy (as a Republic) in the world today..."

In my post immediately preceding yours, I gave an extant example of a republic more than 1,000 years older than the United States... San Marino. An elected, governing representative body for the city-state since the Fourth Century AD, with the only interruptions in rule being that of invasion by a foreign power (30 years of Venetian domination, and 17 by Napoleon). Add to this that I also listed Rome as having existed as a republic for more than 570 years before Caesar ended the Republic and Augustus brought about the Empire, and "both" facts fall apart quickly.

I'm picking on you, of course... but the point is valid. I agree that too many "pseudo-historians" look at the US as the one-and-only, and I agree that this isn't true. I'm just asking that you avoid being "that guy" as much as you can.

No comments: