Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Oy...

I'll take a look at San Marino, but to "pick" back, Rome is immediately disqualified under my description. I clearly noted "in the world today." I did not say "of all time." As you noted, Rome's Republic ended when Caesar crossed the Rubicon. I will also note that I sincerely doubt that San "the dan" Marino qualifies under the second of my US facts - existing under the same form of government / founding document that was put in place after its' original revolution (or emergence into liberty). So just throttle back there cheetoh.

Here's why Hitler Youth bounced around in my mind - the initial breaking reports were replete with descriptions of a man opening fire at "a political youth camp run by the ruling party." They kept repeating this phrase. Now I know good and well that their are "young Republican" groups on college, and even high school campuses across the nation, but when news reports spoke of "children" I assumed they meant K-5. So K-5, at a camp conducted by the ruling political party? THAT doesn't cause your mind to acess the Hitler Youth file, even in passing? Really?

No "youth camp" for elementary school aged children I've ever heard of is put on BY and for "the party" here. And trying to hold out 4H or the boy scouts as American examples seems rather lame to me.

Now, the press certainly could have got it wrong. These kids could have been doing arts & crafts and the Labor Party's association could have started and ended with merely cutting the check for expenses. But that's not how it was reported. I'm sorry, but I hear the words "political youth camp", & I see the little fair skinned boy in the black and white footage wearing an arm band & giving his buddies a Sig Heil-five.

But maybe that's just me ... and Beck.

No comments: