Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On San Marino...

Allow me to assist you:


Current constitution and established republican government has been in effect since 1600, making it the oldest functioning democratic republic on earth. Grand Council has existed since (roughly) 320 AD... and has been the primary instrument of government for the last 1100 years.

However, I'm the first to admit that it is not a nation that can be compared to the United States in a side-by-side glance. San Marino is a city-state, or microstate, and has a population of less than 32,000 people. The only sovereign state that is smaller is Vatican City (ironically, also completely surrounded by Italy). The US is the global superpower, and is well above 10,000 times larger than San Marino.

As I said, I was pushing buttons... trying to be ironic, I guess. Don't get bitchy, okay? We're actually posting here.

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

Fair enough.

I assume though you'll forgive my not leaping to San Marino, it's a rather obscure notation when trying to mark the existence of another contiguous functioning democracy to compare to the US (& as you said, it's not intended as a side-by-side comparison).

Btw, you gotta love "sig heil-five", right? hehe