Sunday, May 20, 2012

$8, how can you go wrong?

Speaking of sons ... my younger comes back from the store the other day with a gift for me. He's gone and spent some of his report card money and bought me a WWII documentary, from Wal Mart. Now for $7.96, I wasn't expecting much - one of those generic deals that hits a few major points. BOY, was I wrong. If you can get past the college kid they have narrating (he's never seen, but sounds a tad nervous), this is an excellent buy. A 21 part 4 disc series, it comes in a 2-pack entitled "The Dawn of War" and "The Fight For Freedom", respectively. It is uber-detailed. And I mean from Hitler's elementary school grades into details of the German attack plans across the Maginot Line ... that were rejected! Then they get to the plan executed. The names and ranks of commanders of individual attack groups; an exhausting account (in a good way) of the RAF defense of England and Goering's various attempts to reformulate bombing strategy; the philosophical sources of the German High Commands military strategy; detailed reading of major aspects of the secret pact between Franco and Hitler ... I mean this is college dissertation level detail. 21+ hours. And again, for 8 bucks!

They have a "Nazi Crimes" 2 pack edition as well, I'm getting that tonight. Look in a separate bin, a display sorta, for Father's Day ideas in an aisle near electronics. There's also WWI, Vietnam, and the Civil War. It's the best type of documentary in my opinion - a hyper detailed, everyone else bails in the room and you're the only one left still watching kind ... hehehe.

No comments: