Sunday, September 9, 2012

Scars... Admittedly a bit late.

I think the final tally on hours lost comes to three full shifts. That's a lot, considering I am part time and I am scheduled eight shifts max in a pay period. This check is going to suck.

 I have commented in the past about scars, symptoms of trauma, crap like that. I try to be pro-active about anniversaries... If you don't like a date because shit happened that time last year or two years ago or a decade, then do something to change it. Me? My divorce was finalized Aug 29, 2008. So when Isaac was pissing on us I looked around and thought, "Shit, didn't those four years fly by?"

 What makes me kind of quiet and sad is the inevitable reality of the post storm world. Our Bund scattered to the wind seven years ago. I've seen Ryan and Titus twice in the time period. Neither Titus nor I have seen Ryan's kids in seven years. Titus hasn't seen mine in six years. The people I work with now, out of the literally hundreds, less than five were veterans of the shift Titus, Ryan and I worked. Scattered. Other things cause the occasional pang. Shift pitchers at Famous Joe's. Tournament dealing. Ms. Selma jokes. Watching Mic chase the ball rolling off Titus' roof. When people move, there is a chance they come back to visit, and you can see places you haunted in the past and have an anchor point, a "I was Here" moment that plots a GPS marker on the path of life. But the storm took all that away. No revisiting. No GPS marker. Except for fading memories, it's a world that has no physical trace except for before and after pictures. Sad.

 Oh well. My exercise in nostalgia is done. Next Aug 29 Carpe Diem.

No comments: