Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Atheism

It's funny you should be surprised by the number of rabid atheists especially when you consider the age groups you're dealing with.

While I never can say I was atheist, I had my time where I strongly questioned the Church. When faced with a debate concerning God and organized religion, I would marshal strong anti-structure, anti-fundamentalist ideals that bespoke of a young know-it-all punk who never faced true adversity or serious life issues other than high school relationship issues and which exam I needed to cram.

I'll use an example from the bar a little while ago.

Before the economy went south I was parked at the Project, decompressing from a tough night at work. no specifics, no one trading stories, me and the two friends I was with were simply drinking beer and talking about baseball and hanging out. Then these kids come in, early twenties, talking about their JAM UP dice skills, what moves you do for this and that, what this pays and that pays and is this a proper bet and so on. I finally had to turn and ask them to move down the bar because the last thing my fat old ass wanted to listen to was their work talk. What was worse was their "profusion" of knowledge advertised their break in status.

Their hatred of religion, of God, of anything absolute in terms of morality and political science again only advertises their youth and inexperience. Their lack of form, procedure and courtesy also say much of their maturity.

For those who don't believe, no explanation is possible. For those who do no explanation is necessary.

I never thought the porch conversations with the old men on the rocking chairs would be so infinitely preferable than the screaming matches in the bars.

When the sun comes up over their neighborhood and it resembles the surface of the moon and they're looking at each other with that thousand yard stare, we'll ask them where God fits into their life equations then.

No comments: