Wednesday, April 1, 2009

He's right...

It was a slow month. I have been visiting another board (I, too, call it "cheating"), but I have to say this...

The Bund is much harder than anything else I have experienced in the realm of discussion groups and Internet bulletin boards. When I get involved in something at the other board, I find myself longing for the depth of debate that we have here. If I am trying to make a point in a debate here, I am forced (by convention, I know... but forced, none the less) to provide ample proof or evidence of my case. I carry this forensic tool with me to the other board, and find that (very often) I am the only one using it. I feel I do very well in the making of my points and opinions... but the threads are very short and often very unpleasant. I'm not suggesting we change our habits here, but I offer this as an explanation as to why we don't get as many comments and outside participation... but still get hundreds of "hits" a month.

What we "lack" here at the Bund is a true "counter-culture" point of view. There are no avowed liberals here... no one openly supports ANY of the new President's plans or agendas, and no one here can be considered anything but "conservative" in their fundamental political, religious or social views... no matter what "Party" we are registered to vote with.

Another thing I have noticed since visiting other boards is that, when you present a case with ample investigation and knowledge about the topic (any topic), you rapidly run out of dissenting opinions... because no one else wants to take the time to do the homework to support their view. Either we are ALL very dull and studious people here, or there is simply something different about our approach to discussion and debate. I'm not suggesting that we don't get caught up in the "emotion" from time to time... because the site is riddled with examples to the contrary. 99% of the time, however, we have some level of "substance" to our cases and opinions that can be weighed against those of another opinion.

While I still feel we have a more civil and adult basis for our debates here, I have to admit that one terribly tough aspect of venturing out into the broader world of Internet discussion groups and blogs is the fact that so many of those using the sites are still in college and grad school. This puts me at a distinct disadvantage, as I haven't had any formal study of ANYTHING in more than 20 years... while these kids are fresh from listening to a political theory lecture for 2 hours, or from an all-night cram session of classical liberal ideology with the campus poli-sci club. I see quotes and fundamental positions from the likes of Locke, Voltaire, Bacon, Rand, Marx, Jefferson, and Gibbons... names I often have to "google" simply to recall who (exactly) they were or are.

I also want to say this... it has been far TOO long since I have had to contend, openly, with a real, avowed and enthusiastic atheist. I am SHOCKED at the number of rabid, nearly irrational atheists as I have seen on the limited number of "conservative" websites I have visited. The same "young conservatives" espouse the values and ideas of such giants as Washington, Adams, Paine, Lincoln, and Reagan but refuse to ackowledge the link between these values and ideas and traditional Judeo-Christian ethics and morals, even though each of the examples listed above BELIEVED in God. Between the influence of such ideologues as Ayn Rand, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and the general "amoral" attitude and position of the mainstream media today, it would seem that the "next generation" of Reagan-Conservatives are going to be anti-religious at best... and outright atheists, worst case.

Anyway, I promise to be more attentive to the Bund in the future. If nothing else, I can bring some much thought-on fodder to the table from my "travels", can't I?

No comments: