Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

Our morning is wrapping up here. It was just Jake and us, as the "big kids" were away for most of the weekend. Jake had his own mini-egg hunt, found them all (eventually) and is now plowing through his mountain of candy and sweets in lieu of breakfast (which was a delicious pairing of sweet melons and cinnamon rolls). I'm off to work in a few hours, but Liz is off and has hopes for a small but nice Easter dinner of ham and trimmings. I'll be late for that, but I'll tuck in when I get home.

I hope all of you have a wonderful day!

I tried to see if I could find transcripts of the Papal Easter Vigil address... and I did find lots and lots of commentaries on the service, but no transcripts. I know this was a big year for Benedict, with his first "Q&A" broadcast on Good Friday (coupled with the traditional Passion procession through the Colosseum that usually takes most of the night) and his traditional Easter Vigil Mass (which also takes most of the night), so the "news" of the events might have overshadowed the content of the events... but I'm still sorry to not be able to read the entire transcript.

Most of the commentaries were a bit dry and drole. Lots of focus on the "Legion of Christ" participation in the Easter Mass at St Peter's, but less on his message. With the beatification of John Paul II coming just next week, I think the focus on the now discredited founder of the order is unfortunate in the extreme... but I guess it can't be unexpected, can it?

I liked that he made the point (very clearly, it seems) that while there is nothing in Catholic teaching that says that evolution isn't fact, it is important to understand that it also isn't proof of the non-existence of God. God is the root and formative action behind all Creation, but He is perfectly within His rights to utilize whatever tools He feels best suited once that process had begun. Our immortal souls and our underlying humanity are gifts from God alone, and not products of natural selection, and they stand as proof that God has an intended purpose for us that we cannot ignore... no matter how hard we try.

Anyway... I do hope you all have a great day, and that (if you are working, as I am) your trials are small, short and easy while on the job.

No comments: