Sunday, April 10, 2011

I'm no golfer...

But I do love the big events. The British Open, especially when it is played at St Andrews. The US Open. And the Masters at Augusta. This isn't a "dynasty" sport, and Tiger Woods not withstanding, no one player gets to dominate the sport the way teams like the Yankees, the Bulls, or the Cowboys all have dominated their sports. Yes, you have the A-Rods, the Jordans and the Aikmans... but not even Michael Jordan could have done all he did without the Bulls behind him.

There's no one behind a golfer... not even his caddy. You play well, you do well. Bad days mean bad pays. Doubt me? Ask Rory McIlroy.

I was rooting for Rory, I admit it. I like Tiger... don't get me wrong. I couldn't care less who he's slept with, he's said his apologies, divorced his wife, and moved on. Good enough for me.... but damn, that Rory just grabbed me and I was a fan after day ONE. Charl played better golf today, no question, and he earned the Master's Championship... but Rory earned something, too.

He earned a standing ovation from the hundreds of fans that stayed the extra time to watch him walk out of the clubhouse locker room. He earned the respect of all his fellow golfers (and millions watching TV) for not giving up, no matter how thick he was in it. He took it serious (belying the comments from pundits and others when they called him "Tin Cup") and he played his best... he just had an off day. Any other day of the week... Rory plays the third round and hangs another 4 under par, walking away with the green jacket. Just not today.

Too many people poo-poo golf as boring to watch, but they are missing something extremely cool... the chance to see real individual character shine through in a major sporting event in front of millions of fans.

That's what I like to watch.

No comments: