Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Conventio-con-expo-fest-o-rama...

My thoughts....

I haven't had much time to follow the RNC at Tampa... and I know the MS contingent of the Bund probably hasn't either, what with all the Isaac preparations... but I've watched a little, and I wanted to say this.

When I first saw Ann Romney's speech, I thought she was laying on the "Mitt Praise" just a little thick... but she made one stellar point without ever coming out and saying it:  Mitt holds a set of personal principles that do not allow him to indulge in self-aggrandizement the way President did from 2007 to today.  For good or bad, he simply isn't the sort of man that seems capable of "tooting his own horn" in an effort to get the masses to accept him for what he purports to be.

Between his autobiography and his numerous television appearances where he explains (ad nauseum) his personal views and accomplishments and the paths that have led him there (all of which seem rather incongruent to me), we have a pretty detailed image of just who Obama is and why he does what he does.  Without Ann's speech, we wouldn't have that for Mitt Romney.  Now, do I think that Mitt has a solid, first-hand understanding of what it means to not be able to make his mortgage payment every month?  Or not have enough in his accounts to get food AND school supplies the week before the kids go back?  No, I don't.  The man's father was wealthy by anyone's standards long before Mitt was old enough to understand bounced checks... and he was wealthy all his life.  But does that really matter?  Not at all.  I don't believe he has to have experienced poverty to know it sucks... and very, very few Americans suffer from real poverty, anyway.  Even the poorest Americans have cell phones, computer access, food stamps and public assistance to keep food on tables and roofs over heads.

I certainly don't feel Obama has any more of a "handle" on my situation as a lower-middle-class wage earner in America because of his disjointed stories of his stepfather, Lolo, and the adventures they had in Indonesia from '67 to '71.  No, even as a Democrat, I can't say I feel any "closer" to Obama through what I know of his early life and accomplishments than a do any other politician in America.

So, now that the "background" of Mitt has been delivered, the last days of the convention need to focus on the "message" that the ticket will be taking to the street: HERE are the solutions to the problems facing America, and HERE are the means by which Romney/Ryan will achieve those solutions once elected.

No comments: