Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sweet, a new fight!

F.Ryan writes:

Really? Please tell me this was just unfortunate sentence structure in an otherwise defensible rant:
"FDR and Truman didn't utilize "statist" agendas and policies to win a world war and the Korean conflict, while watching the nation "boom" through one of its most expansive economic periods ever... so much so that every President for the next four decades followed their example?"
Setting aside whether or not the GOP's unwillingness to even touch Social Security (et al) constitutes "following FDR's example," the gist of this paragraph communicates, as I read it, the opinion that the dynamic duo's "statist" domestic agenda both won WWII & ushered in economic "boom" times. Please tell me I've misinterpreted or you miswrote.

Man, this is like old times... me pouring my heart out to the blog-o-sphere and you completely misunderstanding everything I write.  Good times, good times...

I've said that I'm done trying to explain my position on New Deal (and all it encompasses) with you.  I'm only stating the obvious here:  FDR and Truman were "statists" (according to the Levin/Limbaugh/Ryan definition of the term), and while they were in office, we won a world war, won back all that was lost in the Korean conflict and enjoyed the largest "boom" period in modern history.  Every President EXCEPT Reagan has followed the New Deal paradigm almost to the letter, especially the last two.

What more "statist" policy could there be than consumer rationing?  Our entire economy, and every facet of our society that was effected by it, was geared around priorities and agendas set by the Federal government from Jan of 1942 until late into 1948, as the last of the Marshall Plan funds poured into Europe... and both the country and the Constitution not only survived, but thrived.  Surely, you don't feel that we WON WWII in spite of the "total war" effort, as you do the Great Depression and New Deal?  Is the rationale now that we'd have won the war faster had there been no rationing?  No confiscation of resources?  No eminent domain seizures?  Surely not...

My comments, and specifically my "question", were rhetorical in nature.  Big Government doesn't equal dismantled Constitution... otherwise we'd have fallen apart numerous times in our history, beginning with the Civil War. 

No comments: