Thursday, May 8, 2008

I had no idea what I saw.

I've seen William Pitt's stone, set in the floor of the crypt of Westminster Abbey. Nothing exceptional about it, certainly nothing compared to Admiral Nelson's tomb, nor Wellington, (ironically enough the P.M. in the 1830s) but right next to Pitt in a underneath a stone far less ornate than even Christopher Wren was one William Wilberforce. The same William Titus spoke so glowingly of, the man featured in the movie Amazing Grace.

For being such a self proclaimed aficionado of history, I should have known then what I was looking at. Granted, it was a decade before the movie was made, but of all the things at Westminster, I made it a point to see Pitt. And there beside him was some name that stuck in my head. I mean seriously, how do you forget a name like Wilberforce?

Even more than the historical implications of the first bill Wilberforce got through the House of Commons, the prosecution of vessels flying the flag of neutrality during the Napoleonic Wars, thus strangling the slave trade, was the simple two word phrase that set the stage for the eventual winning strategy. Nosos Dicipio.

No comments: