Saturday, May 3, 2008

On the contrary...

I am a HUGE fan of historical fiction. Some of my favorite authors have used the tool to give unique insight into very specific and accurate historical stories.

More importantly, though, after you mentioned Panzer Battles, I thought of a book I know treasure in my own library... After the Invasion.

The book was loaned to me by Len T. Do you remember him, a day-shift dealer that everyone called "Squiggy"? Bit of a stoner-type, but a solid dealer... and absolutely obsessed with WWII history and facts. Sharp cookie, even if his historical "forte" was a bit narrow.

Anyway, he loaned me the book about a week before the storm hit... and I never saw the man again. I am NOT the type that normally keeps loaned books, but I simply had no idea how to get in touch with the guy after Katrina to return the book.

The book (After the Invasion) was written from the interrogations and debriefings carried out on captured and surrendered German commanders concerning what was known and unknown by the Germans prior to the June 6th invasion of Normandy. The actual transcripts of the interrogations are found in the book, along with analyses and a perspective from the Allied-side of the question. Every major player in the German High Command is there (barring Rommel and Von Paulus... for obvious reasons)... even Georing.

I have always thought that THIS book could provide the background and insight into the background of the occupied-side of the invasion for anyone with the talent and will to write an historical novel based on the German view of the invasion of Normandy. You could fill a library with the books that have been written from the Allied perspective... but very few have been written about the Axis side of the issue.

So, I'll look for your book... and I think this style of writing is very good, if done properly.

No comments: