Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I was doing some reading...

... after hearing about Ted Kennedy's malignant brain tumor. Made me think about the passing of an era. He is the last vestige of my mom's Democratic Party. And while nothing he did outshone the shadow of Chappaquiddick (I know I butchered that), for the eulogy he gave Robert alone I need to pause out of respect.

I can hear Ryan and Baddboy now, each choking on their coffees.

For real now. Think about it. Everyone here has a brother. Everyone here has seen family in crisis. And no matter what sins Ted is taking to the grave, there was a moment in his life where he stood and sang the praises of his big brother out of tribute and not out of self glorification. It's not hard to find the text, and if you find a streaming video even better, but in the eulogy where he talks about Robert seeing wrong and wanting to right it, tell me that doesn't make your throat tight with emotion. (Not bile, Baddboy. I know this is hard for you.)

It brings up a thought. Could Robert have beaten Nixon in '68?

It was in Robert's platform for a unilateral withdrawal from Vietnam. His record on civil rights, social programs and defense were well documented. He very well could have been a far better president than his brother. And imagine the state of our nation without Watergate, without the bitterness of a Ford pardon, (no matter how right the act was) without the necessity of the disgrace of a presidential resignation. Robert could have made Camelot work.

Man, no wonder Mom is bitter.

And think of this. With no Nixon and Ford, there is no Carter. A very real possibility for president in 1976, following the political pendulum swing, would be Reagan.

Wow.

No comments: