Wednesday, April 18, 2012

On my faith in New Deal...

Speaking of bad form... I conceded the point, in its entirety.  I cannot claim to be any more right than you are, since I can't make you (or anyone else, for that matter) see the basis of my point.  All I "clarified" was that you hadn't convinced me of the absolute nature of your argument anymore than I had convinced you of mine.

I'm the first to admit I'm a stubborn son of a gun, on the best of days... I don't like losing an argument to you or anyone else.  If I couldn't make you see even a portion of my point, and even my own brother doubted the validity of my position, then I was forced to admit that my position might be as untenable as you claimed it to be.

My "faith" lays with God, the Church and what I know to be true and undeniable... the depression that started in 1929 was over by 1934, two years after FDR won his first election.  Since that time, with such "progressive" behemoths as the SEC, FDIC, the Federal Reserve, Social Security all soundly in place, there has never been another depression; no recessionary economy has lasted more than 9 months;  the United States has reached unprecedented highs in the realms of economic growth, domestic prosperity, personal wealth and opportunity;  and we still maintain the highest standard of living (across the board) of any populous since the dawn of recorded history. 

I simply have decided to stop trying to convince anyone that New Deal contributed more to the efforts to end the era of the Great Depression than it hindered.  I could very well be wrong in my assumptions, conclusions and ideas, but until such time as I am able to prove them, the debate is over and I concede that your point wins.

No comments: