Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Top Ten Discussion...

No problem whatsoever with Ridgeway making the list... But let me add this.

I know we've discussed the oath, defending the Constitution and all that, but to NOT have Robert E. Lee on this list isn't working for me. I would suggest removing Jimmy Doolittle and replacing him with Robert E. Lee.

For everyone not privy to the phone conversation, I originally had three Confederate generals on my list, Lee, Longstreet and Stonewall Jackson. With Sherman and Grant, half the list was filled by Civil War generals. I removed the Confederates for the sake of discussion but upon further reflection cannot leave Lee off the list.

I never, in my entire life, thought I would be an apologist for anything Confederate in my lifetime, but I feel we tread upon the hated path of revisionism if we do not acknowledge Lee as American and embrace him as one of our own. After all, we fought and won the war to PRESERVE the Union, and even though Lee's deeds were in opposition of the Republic, to deny their greatness and keep him from the list is to deny the spirit of Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address.

I am reducing my argument to an emotional plea. I know this. He fought against the US just as surely as Benedict Arnold did... And had Arnold taken Quebec we'd be having this argument about him as well.

What say you?

No comments: