Friday, November 9, 2012

This reminds me...

Ryan's comments on the Speaker's words made me think of something we "beefed" about a long time ago.

When are higher taxes "acceptable" in the eyes of the GOP?

If, correction pending as both Ryan and I suspect it is, we could mitigate the damage such a correction could do by increasing taxes by as little as a point or two before the correction occurs... would it be okay then?

My argument for Keynesian spending (oft used during the New Deal debates) falls apart when faced with a wall of debt already large enough to impede deficit spending during fiscal meltdowns.  We weren't there in 1932.  We weren't there in 1982.  We ARE there in 2012... more debt than we can sustain, and no room for higher taxes if the economy is to grow.

I'm asking, not arguing... so please consider:  When is higher taxes acceptable?  Are we there yet?

No comments: