Saturday, December 5, 2009

Integrate versus assimilate

Which is best for nations with large or problematic immigration dynamics? To integrate the immigrants so that they can practice and enjoy their diversity and unique cultural characteristics while still allowing them to become complete "citizens" of the society, or to promote (and sometimes force) the assimilation of such groups into a culture by making the use or practice of their language, religion or cultural norms difficult or impossible through government regulation and limitations?

Obviously, I ask this because it is topical for us in the US... but with the recent referendum in Switzerland concerning the minarets of newly-constructed mosques, I think it is becoming more and more an issue globally.

"Conservatives" like Ryan and the many pundits on the radio and TV advocate less government regulation in almost every facet of our lives... from free enterprise to taxes and education, the cry is for LESS GOVERNMENT REGULATION. I say "almost" because I know that many (including Ryan... and Jambo, I think) still support legislation making English the "official" language of the USA. It's exclusive use in schools, government offices, official correspondence and legal matters would, seemingly, force assimilation of one culture into another.

I won't venture into the area of racial or cultural profiling here... I understand that the greatest threat the the US is from radical elements of the Muslim faith, and people associating with those radical elements must be considered suspect when circumstantial evidence shows itself. In this area, I don't argue that we must keep our eyes very open when looking at risks and threats from Muslim immigrants, as long as it isn't an exclusive eye on Muslims.

No, I'm speaking of what this nation and society need to be working towards in the future: Integration or assimilation? Why? How best do we achieve the result you are advocating? Why?

I'm serious here... think this over and give me your honest assessment and reasoning. I will do the same with my opinions, and I (really... me too) will do all I can to stay objective and open-minded.

No comments: