Friday, December 18, 2009

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but I'm getting tired of it, too. I'm not sure I can bring myself to bake one more cookie or one more batch of fudge. I'm sick of wrapping presents and shopping and planning the "big day" so that each child has an adequate number of gifts and presents.

Two years ago, I posted THIS and I still stand behind what I wrote. I have watched for this program on our TV schedule now, but have yet to see it aired. I guess our modern, politically-correct and ultra-secular society have determined that this icon of the Christmas season for children over the last 45 years is no longer acceptable viewing. We have it on DVD, so we will watch it anyway.

Jacob, our soon-to-be 7 year old, was watching me wrap his gift for a school grab-bag exchange last night, and said that he wished "Christmas was everyday!" Honesty and honor forces me to admit that I was feeling less-than-Santa-like at that moment, but his comment was sincere and touched me to a point that I felt I couldn't let it go. I asked him if he knew why we had a "Christmas" at all... and this child blew me away. He told me that Christmas was Jesus' birthday, and that is why we give presents... giving presents to others is like giving presents to Jesus.

He doesn't always behave the way we could want, and he is a trial at least as much as he is an angel... but that moment was my Christmas miracle. Jacob understood better than I did what I was supposed to be doing (even if he wasn't able to employ that understanding any better than I was... hehe).

When next I say my rosary (with the name Terry first and foremost on my lips... :) ), I will remember to say an extra "Thank You" for Jacob and all of my family and friends that help me to remember why we REALLY have a Christmas at all.

No comments: