Sunday, December 27, 2009

Remembering Christmas Eve...

I hope everyone following this site had a joy-filled Christmas, and that everyone has a Happy New Year, too.

Ours was busy, busy, busy. Our best friends were over for Christmas Eve dinner... Super John and Becki, Mick the Lib and Jen, all the kids (and I do mean all of them) and Mick's younger brother, Noel, from Dublin. We had manicotti, shrimp, scallops, stuffed mushrooms, a cheese platter and a huge pile of spinach dip with dark rye bread. I bought Liz a case of NEPA's finest wine (from our local winery, Nimble Hill), two cases of porter, a bottle of Paddy's and Noel brought a bottle of Michael Collins whiskey, as well.

Just as we were reaching the height of our pint-count, Jambo called to wish us a Merry Christmas and James got his chance to speak with our visiting Dubliner. What Jambo might not realise is that we had been talking about him and his antics prior to his call, and some of the better stories had moved everyone to tears with the associated laughter... so Noel was probably feeling like he was talking to an old friend. I sure hope Jambo wasn't too put off by the conversation... I'm sure it was a lot to take sober and unprepared, but it was all in good, honest fun.

It was a great time, and between the four of us men, we finished the entire bottle of Collins and left only a swallow of the Paddy's. Good food, great drink, and even better company makes for one hell of a memorable Christmas Eve party. No one fought, no one fell, and almost nothing got broken... the perfect party.

Liz and I spent the rest of the night putting Christmas morning together, until about 2 AM. Since our youngest, Jake, had fallen asleep in my bed, Liz slept with him and I nodded off on the couch (ouch) until Nolan woke up at about 6 AM ready to open his gifts. The rest of the family was up by 7 and the house rang with the sound of tearing paper and laughter. French toast, some fresh berries, and two pots of coffee helped round out the morning into a very nice Christmas Day, if ever I have seen one.

Noel gets on his plane back to Ireland today, and I hope he has a great trip and a great New Year! Thanks so much for helping to make our Christmas so memorable and happy! I certainly look forward to seeing him again as soon as possible... he's a gentleman and a scholar, no doubt.

Today is Jacob's 7th birthday, and we have made plans to take him to one of the most evil and hated places on the face of the earth... Chuck E. Cheese's. I shudder to think of the 2 to 3 hours that I am going to have to spend there, but he has been waiting for this trip for (literally) MONTHS and can't stop talking about it. So, I will take up my cross and bear it with as much grace as I can... someday, when he is rich and famous, perhaps he will remember this and determine that supporting Liz and I in our old age is the least he can do for such considerate parents.

If I didn't say it previously, I'll say it again now (belated though it is)...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our much-loved friends and family!

No comments: