Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Talk about 'top'-ical ...

No sooner do I rise up off of the ol' computer, satisfied with a morning's post, then I hear on the local AM station which carries Glenn Beck, an advertisement for the Atomic Testing Museum which is eminently close to my domicile. Check the sight, seriously, look at this thing, this is no "worlds biggest ball of string" that road side desert towns are famous for: THE BOMB. You like that pun? Well, I figured since the Commander-in-Chief is sending "shout-outs" ...

****

Also something I wanted to share -

My sons and I returned from our desert oasis, that vital among resources for man facing the elements - Wal Mart, and as is common they tore open the ceremonial offering as a counter to, "Dad, do we have to go grocery shopping?", which would be a fresh pack of Topps football cards. I then eyed the fourth card in - it was a man in a US Marine uniform with Cincinnati Bengals emblazoned across the bottom. I instantly thought "cool", here's a Pat Tillman sorta guy - using the brains and bronze that serve him so well on one field to serve on another. But then as I examined the card I realized in small print it said "fan of the game series." It was a US Marine, on active duty, who was not at all a professional football player. You know the traditional critique Americans have in the age of the celebrity - "they should put the soldiers on trading cards" ... well TOPPS did, and they should be commended for it.

James A. Lenihan
Lance corporal/US Marine Corps Reserves/2005 - PRESENT
Favorite Team: CINCINNATI BENGALS
Armed Forces
Fan of the Game
Favorite NFL Moment: "Any win over Cleveland."

I thought that was really rather cool of them - can you imagine how much he and his buddies & family felt, buying a pack of cards, tearing it open and seeing "Jimmy" in there - well done Topps, very well done.

No comments: