Friday, April 23, 2010

Couch-potato review...

If you haven't already seen or used Netflix in action, here's what I have to say: It is the best thing to hit the lazy-man's entertainment center since the invention of the DVR.

At first, we just took advantage of the ease and convenience of the through-the-mail DVD selection, which is massive and really is quite fast in its turn around time. Then, I discovered the "Watch Instantly" option on my computer... a fantastic option, no question. Then we found that we can do the same thing by using the kid's Wii console so that the instant watch programs and movies were something we could watch in comfort and style.

If a movie is out in DVD format, but not on the instant-view list, we get the disk sent to us. Otherwise, the Wii is the way. And, on those rare occasions when the Wii or TV is occupied and I can't simply flop down and start browsing for a classic flick, I can always belly-up to the 'puter and watch from there.

I was on a George Romero kick for awhile, and that led me to watching complete seasons of Buffy and Angel (no small accomplishment, that... those were big series). Of course, because of the association between Starz and Netflix (both owned by the same parent company), I get to watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand first thing Friday while the rest of the world waits till prime time slots.

It's tough to be a modern couch-potato and NOT have this valuable and timely service at your fingertips. I know Ryan agrees with me on this, so if anyone is looking for a review of this particular service... mine is a two-thumbs WAY UP.

No comments: