Friday, April 16, 2010

"Kill Them All"...

Ryan sent me a text this morning after he watched the season finale of Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and while it was short and to the point, it was spot-on.

I've finished it, and Jambo is DVR'ing it, and I know Ryan has seen it twice... so if this is a spoiler for the rest of our readers, STOP READING NOW!

It was fantastic. Gorey, yes... violent, definately... but as I explained to my wife who was asking why I was so excited to watch blood and fighting at 7 AM, it is every bit as plausible a scenario as anything modern historians could come up with to explain the historical actions that led to the legend of Spartacus.

The title said it all, didn't it? They did kill them all... Batiatus, Lucretia, all the ruling elite of Capua and the Campanian district, even young Numerius died at the hands of Varo's wife. Every guard, every legionare, every representative of Roman society that these slaves could lay their hands on died by the end of the show.

With one exception...

Ilythia still lives, and is undoubtedly on her way to her husband, Claudius Glaber, legatus and member of the Senate, but as history tells us where Glaber ends up, it is a small thing to simply wait for the inevitable.

The absolute best part of this finale, though, was the manner in which we found out who the long-awaited Oenomaus is... none other than the doctore himself. Now, I admit to typically being a "purist" when it comes to history... but I can forget my insistance on details simply because the character so far developed in Doctore/Oenomaus is so unbelievably cool (there is no other word to describe him), so the fact that the current character couldn't possibly hail from Gaul (or anywhere north of the Sahara, in fact) is not going to stop my cheering him on as he leads the rebel slaves to their first major victory in Campania against Glaber himself... on the very slopes of Vesuvius itself. I say this because history says it happened, and Oenomaus was the leader of the men who wiped out the cohorts that Glaber had camped on the volcano.

God speed the recovery of Mr. Whitfield... no one should suffer that sort of disease. I'm not going to lie, though... I want a speedy recovery so the show can go on. Selfish, I know... but I'm being honest.

No comments: