Friday, May 20, 2011

I've been thinking...

The Queen has just wrapped up a very impressive and historic visit to Ireland, and the stories and photos from that trip have had me thinking. I'm no Anglophile, mind you... at least not in the way my wife is. She loves everything British, and loves everything "Royal", too. She drank deep of the heady draft that was the wedding of William and Kate, and she is always ready to recall the drama that was Diana and Charles, too.

I won't lie, though... Her Majesty is 85 years old, and while I wish her all the best (God save the Queen and all), it is probably unavoidable that we will soon see what hasn't happened in the English-speaking world since 1952: a royal funeral followed by a coronation.

I'm wondering who will follow her?

Obviously, I know Charles is the "heir" to the throne. He is the next King of the United Kingdom... but he doesn't have to take the throne. Nor am I sure he should.

Charles has lots and lots of baggage. There's the whole Diana divorce, which made him look bad no matter who's fault it was. Then there is the Camilla factor... his first love and current wife, the Duchess is an accepted part of the Royal Family now, but I find it difficult to think that the Queen wants her as the Royal Consort to the King... she is divorced, and was a primary party in the divorce of the Prince of Wales and Diana.

Charles is 63 years old himself... no spring chicken, he. He has rarely showed the poise and grace of his lofty office over 35 years the way his oldest son has since the death of his mother. He's never seemed to want to be King... and I think it is important to make that distinction.

The Monarchy is important and relevant today, but to remain that way the Monarch has to fill a very specific and focused role. Can Charles do that?

I don't know if Charles can... but I really do think William can. The man is a master at getting the cameras and limelights to always catch his "good side"... a trick he must have learned from his mother, who never met a camera that didn't like her, either.

No comments: