Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My take...

I see your point... and don't worry, Liz does too... and I agree with what you say, but I'd add this to my personal take on the whole "celebration" thing:

There is little doubt that, like anything else in America, some things are taken too far. These are the "celebrations" that are going to get the most hype in the media, simply by definition. That is unfortunate, because I do not think it reflects the whole (it never does, does it?).

The vast majority of America would be perfectly comfortable with the impromptu gatherings that happened at Ground Zero, the Philadelphia Phillies game against the Mets, the Mall in Washington DC, etc, etc. Here we did not see images of a bloody or mutilated turbaned figure as a caricature of OBL being waved, dragged or burned... here we saw people holding hands, singing "God Bless America" or "The Star Spangled Banner", or (at worst) chanting "USA! USA! USA!" Fresh flowers were taken to the sites where thousands died at bin Laden's directions, and for the first time in nearly a decade... tears were not all tears of loss and pain.

I dislike the "celebration" that denigrates the effort... but I abhor the generalization that says that all of America is that ignorant or stupid to feel or act as the few that are repeatedly shown on TV do. We are a mature, rational culture that has consistently grown from past mistakes... the Presidential race of 2008 is ample proof of that, I feel... and while not everyone that reacted to the news did so in a completely mature and rational manner, holding the rest of us responsible or equally guilty for the actions of that select and very visible few is just as ignorant and stupid as anything I've seen yet.

I support completely the effort that brought us to this point in the war against terrorism. I applaud the courage, strength and sacrifice of each and every man and woman that worked to put those SEALs in the time and place they were so they could do the job they did... from 2001 to May 2, 2011. I trust that the meager degree of justice that was meted out to OBL yesterday will be completed utterly by a Just and Merciful God, according to His will and not ours, just as I trust that those whose lives have been devastated by the actions of OBL in the past are never far from His divine and perfect Love.

Ten years of pain, fear and suffering have been heaped on this country because of one man's despicable actions... and those that suffered most have earned the right to applaud his death, if they so choose to do so. I won't complain...

No comments: