Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Maybe we're missing the point...

...or I could ask the most hated question of all... Why ask why?

I would like so much to add some kind of historical back light to this argument, but as I told Ryan last week in a phone conversation, I can't for the life of me come up with a parallel in American history. Never in the most frenetic of FDR's 100 Days, (pick any of the four) did he suggest a bailout. He simply pumped billions (even in 1930's money) of Federal dollars into domestic works projects.

Which, I may add, is STILL not a bad idea, and a damned sight better than throwing close to a trillion away to bail out things that maybe shouldn't be fixed.

I mean seriously, what better way to re-establish faith in the economy, and I mean the rock solid blue collar shopping at Wal-Mart kind of faith than a federal plan to rebuild (pick your dilapidated domestic infrastructure... Mass transit, freeways, bridges, energy production, the list goes on...) over a set period of time for some serious coin? McCain say "Okay, here's $100 billion over five years for freeways. Here's $100 billion over five years for coal to gas refineries. Here's $100 billion over five years for high speed bullet train mass transit in the Northeast Corridor." And we've only spent 34% of the bailout cash!

I don't mean to beat the dead horse of New Deal 2008 but at least This plan has historical precedence for 1) success, and 2) re-establishing faith in the economy. THIS is the leadership we've been crying for. Who'd have thought it would look almost REACTIONARY compared to what is happening now.

No comments: