Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rights vs. Privileges

Ryan and I had an interesting text conversation last night while I was languishing on Crazy 4 Poker last night as a 9 start with no hope for an early out. While discussing the debate he brought up the question Brokaw did, is health care a right or a privilege? McCain said privilege and Obama said right. After some traded jabs and some baiting on my part Ryan launched into a very passionate explanation as to why health care is not a guaranteed right but a privilege someone works for, like a driver's licence or home ownership.

To which point I realized McCain just lost the election.

No one wants to hear that we as Americans have to WORK for things. No one wants to hear about CONSEQUENCES, good or bad. What the voting public wants to hear is how the federal government is going to TAKE CARE of everything, from health care to this financial disaster to gas prices. We as a voting public don't need to do anything, just keep on keeping on, and the feds will waive their magic wand and cure all ills.

Concerning health care, I'm not particularly happy about not being insured. I lost benefits through no fault of my own. But it is my responsibility to either a) secure employment that provides the insurance necessary or b) shop around and purchase my own health care insurance. Ryan is right. It is not the responsibility of the federal government.

So whether or not we think McCain lost the election due to backlash from G.W. Bush or from the fact that as a nation the voting population has moved towards a more liberal sense of federal government responsibilities, it's looking bleak.

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

It would appear that we are on EXACTLY the same page regarding health care and why Mac will lose ... sigh.