Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Amazing Grace

Be found my lost friend ...

I'm not sure how I lost you at "he doesn't work", given I never wrote that. Please, cut & paste the quote ... insert now appropriate irony symbol, here.

On the double tax - my understanding of it is as follows (as one example): if I invest 100k in a capital venture, say a start up dot com, existing company, etc, I now own a part of that company (shares, if its publicly traded). If I feel the investment has done well (enough) & I sell my shares and am paid out a TOTAL of $200k, do I not get taxed on all 200? Because if so, I'm essentially facing a double dip tax on half of that amount. The principle investment isn't in some lock box is it? Now if you're telling me they make an exemption on taxing profits up to the amount you invested, then fine, I take your point. As you noted, this element is not essential to defend the Romney tax rate.

No comments: