Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Greatest Christmas Gift... Ever...

Picture this:

All our kids, gathered under one of two trees in the house (neither real... so no bitching about deforestation, okay?) and looking over the expanse of wrapping paper, ribbons and tinsel that covers the floor.  Liz and I enjoying the happy scene and drinking coffee.  Then the kids give me my presents...

A tin of Boy Scout popcorn from Jacob (which I love and is already gone).

A small, book-sized package from Liz, Katey and Nolan.

I open the package and find a brand new Kindle.  I know what they are, and I have seen them in operation both at work and through friends, but I have never owned one.  I'm a bit old fashioned, I guess and I always wanted a real book in my hands.

Until now, that is.

This little miracle is the most FANTASTIC gift I have ever gotten!  Barely a week into the New Year and I have more then 40 titles in the thing, with more than 1,500 to go before I actually need to sweat memory limits. Downloading the books is so easy its criminal... and I haven't paid for anything that cost more than $3.99 YET!

In fact, being able to sort titles by the "ratings" of other readers is one of the greatest perks to the whole thing!  I find the most popular books, read a review or two, and decide if the effort is worth less than a buck.  And I have found at least FOUR absolutely fantastic books already!!!  Riveting reads, fantastic stories, and all by authors no one would have heard from in the traditional "paper" world.

In all honestly, if there is any way Jambo can get HIS title into Kindle-format (e-books), perhaps that is the key to making the book more widely read:  all it would take is the initial formatting and a push to get people to rate it.  Bingo... you are the next Kindle Best Seller!

1 comment:

F. Ryan said...

Funny - Angela had the exact same experience. I got her a Kindle as well (which I have already "borrowed" at length). You're right, the ease and speed at which the books download is insane! And the fact that the electronic versions are at a minumim (minumim!) 50% cheaper than the real deal, it just can't be beat. Our books typically download in seconds. I hear about a book, go look it up, 3 to 5 dollars later I'm chapters in, all initiated within a minute of first hearing about it. They have categories galore too, making it very user friendly. And all for around $80 (for the "basic" edition). And the cool thing is it reads like real paper, no glare or wash out in the sunlight. Cool, cool gift. It looks like our households got one on the same day. And in fact, I'm looking uip one tomorrow, "Geronimo", written by an ex Navy SEAL whom SEAL Team 6gave access to and devulged the blow by blow account of the killing of Bin Laden. I heard the author interviewed and it sounds fantastic!