Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tangible results...

Very recently, my two oldest were sitting around the living room and the 17-year-old asked why Wikipedia wasn't working.  I told him it was shut down in protest to the SOPA/PIPA legislation that was being moved through Congress.  He did his own research, shared what he learned with his 19-year-old sister, and they both signed a petition to stop the legislation.  Now SOPA/PIPA is dead, and they both feel they contributed to the "cause".  They raised their voices and see that they were heard.

Now, the 19-year-old is "facebooking" that she listened to the SotU Address and loved every minute of it.

I'm so proud of her!

Seriously, I'd rather have a young adult support a President (even Obama) by understanding (or trying to understand) the politics and policies they support than see someone simply shrug off the details and leave the decision making process to someone else.  These kids don't have to agree with all... or even any... of my political views.  I just want them to have a view of their own and to be able to defend it when asked to.

Seeing as this will be the 19-year-old's first general election and her first opportunity to vote for a President and the 17-year-old will be 18 by Nov of 2012, I want them to know what they are voting for and not simply pulling levers (even though that isn't done anymore, I know).

Maybe they'll even read this blog... hehe.

No comments: