Monday, June 30, 2008

Hmmm... where to begin?

I claim as mine the Stevens, the High Standard, the SECOND Mauser that you failed to write about (the Austrian model, stamped and numbered from a manufacturer in 1919 as a "sport rifle" because the Treaty of Versailles allowed no military arms to be manufactured in either Austria or Germany in 1919), the .30-06 and the Marlin .22 semi-auto. I am only claiming the .22 because YOU said you didn't want it as badly as you wanted the old Model 12... which was very clearly given to ME by our father more than 20 years ago. I already had another 12 gauge (a Winchester 1200, in fact), so I gave YOU the Model 12 and claimed the Marlin as my own.

The only reason you have ANY of these guns is because you also have the GUN CABINET that I couldn't fit into the U-Haul when I left MS for PA, and I would have no safe place to put them here in the far northeast.

So, fair is fair... if you feel the need or desire to fire any of these very fine and perfectly serviceable weapons, by all means do so, since they are in your care until such time as I can return and claim them. Simply understand that the FIVE listed above are MY firearms, and that is NOT up for debate. I have particular plans for the Stevens and the Mauser, in fact... so be especially careful with them.

As anyone can see, I have three firearms that I USE with any regularity... my Remington .308, my Ruger 10-.22, and my 12 gauge Winchester (which are the only guns I have with me in NEPA). The rest, while perfectly serviceable and fully functional, are far more valuable to me for their sentimental value than for any actual monetary value they may have. I admit that there may be a degree of value to the Mauser and the High Standard that stems from their collectible nature... but that isn't why I have them.

The piece that Jambo failed to talk about though... the treasure of our family's collection over the years, is the actual, honest-to-God, documented "as issued" Springfield Model 1863 US Army musket that was issued to one John Henry Foster upon his enlistment into the 28th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Co. D) in Mukwonago, WI in April of 1862. Along with this rather tired-looking but priceless family heirloom goes the actual "as issued" bayonet, bayonet scabbard, possible bag, shot pouch, percussion cap carrier, and ramrod. All worn, carried and used by my Great-great Grandfather while he fought in the Vicksburg Campaign, beginning in December, 1862, as a "wagoneer" for Company D and recieved a Confederate ball in his mid-section that caused him health problems for the rest of his life.

THAT piece? It's mine too.

1 comment:

Jambo said...

Well, I hate to burst your bubble twice, but I have two pieces of very bad news.

1) I do not have that old old Mauser hunting rifle. I know which one you're speaking of and I don't have it.

2) There is no way in HELL you're claiming that Springfield as just a blanket, "It's mine too." Just so you know.