Sunday, June 29, 2008

Jambo is NOT a liar...

... and looking at the gun cabinet, Titus had better hope I DON'T have some of his guns because I don't see any of them.

For the completely disinterested bystanders, I apologize, but this is a point of family pride and heritage, and a story that really should be told.

Inside a water stained oak gun cabinet are seven rifles and shotguns, with one rifle sitting against the wall outside the cabinet and one handgun locked in the bottom drawer.

From left to right, the first is a Winchester Model 12 12 gauge shotgun pump, circa pre WW2. I have been told two stories about this, one that it was once my great grandfather's, the other that it was my grandfather's. I tend to believe the second as my great grandfather was a small man with both legs amputated mid thigh as a result of a train accident, and that Model 12 is a large gun. This gun in turn was my father's and passed to my brother and I.

The second is a Remington 720 bolt action 30-.06 minus the original vintage Weaver scope that Titus still has. This rifle I will admit was never mine nor meant for me. I am a left handed shooter and do not use a bolt action. I am not sure how this rifle has remained in my possession but it is more than likely destined for Titus or my nephew, Mini-Titus.

Third is my semi-automatic twelve gauge Winchester M-59, with a very thin metal sleeve inside a fiberglass barrel. This was my grandfather's duck hunting gun as its unique barrel made the thing a very light and mobile gun for someone sitting in the bow of a duck boat. ( And Grandpa didn't row. Ever.) This was ALWAYS my gun, given to me by my Grandmother while she was still alive. Unfortunately, the only one that has used it hunting SO FAR is Titus, but that by no means gives him ownership. :-)

Next is my H&R .410 single shot shotgun, my Christmas present from my father when I was 14. It was at Titus' house during the storm and in the flood was submerged. The damage was not nearly as bad as it could have been. The gun looks fantastic, all things considered, but the spring and firing pin are damaged and the gun needs some internal TLC. Baddboy and I are on that.

Fifth is a Marlin tube fed .22 rifle. As Titus has in his possession my father's Ruger 10-.22 rifle, my de facto ownership of this is only fair but, I do have to admit, open to dispute.

Sixth is my great grandfather's Stevens double barrel 16 gauge shotgun. This was another bow gun for the duck boat, modified in the sense that my great grandfather shaved the stock of the gun so his cheek lined up on the bead better. It looks like either Grant or Lee could have carried the thing into Appomattox Courthouse, but two Marines and Baddboy reassure me the thing is in perfect condition and is safe to fire. I have yet to do so. This is another gun whose ownership could be disputed as no specific relative was told "This is yours."

Last in the cabinet, the far right slot, is "Ole Painless," the Marlin Model 1893 .38-55 lever action rifle. It has the octagon barrel, weighs considerably more than the Springfield 1903 Titus deer hunted with most recently, and is very clearly my rifle. This was also specifically given to me by my grandmother. The action is glass smooth and its effect on a deer close to medium range needs to be seen to be believed. I do mean DAMN. (Just a sidenote, it wasn't until after I'd bagged my 7 pointer that I realized the ammunition I was using was almost as old as I was.)

Outside the cabinet is my father's Mauser 98, .308 bolt action. He thinks (and I agree) it is from 1930's Germany that was shipped to Italy where it spent the next 50 years in a warehouse. It was given to dad as payment for some favor. Nothing wrong with it, Baddboy loves it, and works just fine.

The handgun is a High Standard .22 semi-auto pistol that is Titus' without dispute or question. Why I have this I do not know but I'll hold onto it as long as I need to.

So where are the 5 guns I have of yours? Two are mine for certain. The Model 12 was understood to be mine as you had your own Model 1200. While I'm waiting for your response I'll draft my brief on co ownership of the Ruger.

This should make Baddboy happy.

No comments: