Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Total Recall

Titus wrote in his most recent post, Lets Be Honest:
"I don't recall us discussing a national "prize" for innovations and new designs..."

You don't recall Titus? You don't recall our (read: MY) discussing such a prize? Thank God for the technology of Blogger, and my steel trap mind ....

I now direct your attention to Exhibit A:

On December 11th, 2007 in a post entitled There Are No Wookies On Endor (don't worry Jambo, I know that was an old email thread heading of yours and I properly credited you in that very post) I wrote the prophetic following:

How many times must I advocate this? There is a path in which we keep the economy, and its life blood, OIL, humming along and we also have a national initiative to find new energy (not to mention the private capital it will take to make it a reality). And that path is presidential LEADERSHIP. THAT is what's lacking. First you suspend the gas taxes for X amount of time, then you begin, by going on TV or in the inaugural address (it won't be this president), and announcing a "moon shot" style energy initiative involving the private sector - whoever wins gets the exclusive rights to fuel the US Government. What do you think that contract would be worth? Now you've got everyone from an eccentric scientist in his garage to BP execs searching in order to win that coveted prize - the genius of the human spirit is unleashed. THAT is how leaders motivate.

And I went on, this would be exhibit B, in the comment section of that post on December 12, in the Year of Our Lord, 2007:

... it will ensure a vibrant economy, one in which once the president announces prize X the available investment capital will be available for. I trust the ingenuity of our private sector to field the answer ...

As for Exhibit C, I can only note that my impatient phrase, "How many times must I advocate this? reveals this was not the first time I suggested the "prize", rather it demonstrates this was but another advocation, lost among many it seems (and in 2007 no less).

I will expect, given your tenured status as a resident gentlemen scholar Titus, a retraction post haste .... and honesty sir, I wreak from the stuff. I bid you, ado ...

No comments: