Monday, October 8, 2007

And now for something completely different.

Sorry, but I had to say something about my latest find.

As curious lurkers may not know, even those of us that didn't move after the storm had to pack, rearrange, move and relocate items. So what did I just uncover after work Saturday night looking for the freaking DVD remote? My cache of classical music CDs. All my Mahler, and I mean priceless. The RCA classic Fritz Reiner conducting the Chicago Symphony's performance of Richard Strauss' Ein Heldenleiben you can't FIND anywhere! James Levine and the Chicago Symphony doing Mahler's 3rd, 6th and 7th, the Claudio Abbado/Chicago Symphony of Mahler's 5th, where the horns go laser at the end of the third movement? Got it. Thought they were gone forever. So needless to say, none of this can be played at conversational volume. So it's like the Oaks Avenue house in Superior, Wisconsin all over again. I haven't listened to these in over two years!

You want to know the only thing better than experiencing these pieces of music for the first time? Listening to them again after a long absence. It's like talking to an old friend or someone you haven't seen in a while. I swear I can close my eyes and see that damn house, with Casper digging under the couch, and I haven't lived there since '92!

Sorry. Had to share.

2 comments:

Titus said...

Waxing nostalgic, are we?

Good times in that house, small, cramped and inefficient as it was... except for that damn cat! You had to have met the thing to really appreciate how demonicly different it was.

6 toes on each foot! No kidding, this thing was all TOES! When it took a swipe at your ankles from under the couch... you worried about arterial bleeding!

Satanic... the cat was Satanic!

Oh, and the music... yes, he did listen to the music very loud. CONSTANTLY. In 1991, we were stuck in the house for 3 days during the big Holloween Blizzard and I heard those Mahler pieces about 10,000 times. Those, and Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition"... he liked taht one too.

Good times... good times.

F. Ryan said...

Classic. I laughed out loud. That was classic. I have to say, I have my own peices of classical music but I'm by no means a connosueir as you are Jambo, and to an extent Titus. Between reading this post and your book though I have an inkling to change that.
FR