Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Rush To Judgment

Never Titus are you more vulnerable then when you discuss and attack Limbaugh. Why? Because you hate him more than I love him, advantage Ryan. You wrote ...

I have read the entire transcript, and to simply say he was making an analogy is flat out untrue... he was comparing the actions of anti-war and anti-Bush vets and soldiers as tantamount to the actions of "strapping explosives to your belt" and blowing yourself up in a crowded street.

Funny you didn't quote exactly what he said. I have read and listened to the comments repeatedly, and you have completely misrepresented them here. Not purposely mind you, but in your zest to prove that he is everything you despise you simply painted a half picture, as it was the one which most readily fit your preconceived Rush template. And as it is clear you have no idea what the events surrounding his comments were, allow me to paint a whole, thus more truthful picture.

On October 2nd he was discussing an ad put out by Vote Vets.org. In the ad a wounded veteran named Brian McGough recites a monologue addressing Rush Limbaugh. He is responding to the "phony soldiers" comment (mind you, the Harry Reid version and context that Rush was referring to ALL anti-war soldiers as "phony", which he was not) and he says to Rush, my scars are real, my wounds are real and, "Until you have the guts to call me a 'phony soldier' to my face, stop telling lies about my service." Well Rush, in this October 2nd show, responded to the ad and the "attack" (my word) that VoteVets.org was launching in several large media markets via this vet McGough. And he did so this way ....

Limbaugh: VoteVets.org has - - they describe themselves as an organization comprised of veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns who oppose current policy in Iraq. They've put together a TV ad that takes aim at me. This ad's going to run on Fox News, on CNN, it's going to run on WMAL radio in Washington, $60,000 ad buy that's going to run, I think, on our local West Palm Beach station down here. And there's a man identified as Brian McCoff -- McGough -- it's M-C-G-O-U-G-H, I'm not sure how he pronounces it, McGo, McGuff -- I haven't watched the ad.

He discusses his service in Iraq, the wounds he suffered there, and he says to me in this ad, "Until you have the guts to call me a 'phony soldier' to my face, stop telling lies about my service." You know, this is such a blatant use of a valiant combat veteran, lying to him about what I said, then strapping those lies to his belt, sending him out via the media in a TV ad to walk into as many people as he can walk into.

This man will always be a hero to this country with everyone. Whoever pumped him full of these lies about what I said and embarrassed him with this ad has betrayed him. They're not hurting me, they're betraying this soldier. Now, unless he actually believes what he's saying, in which case it's just so unfortunate and sad when the truth of what I said is right out there to be learned.

Now let us return to your comments Titus, and see if they hold up to the transcript you claim to have read in its entirety.

1.) You claimed that Rush was referring to "anti-war and anti-Bush vets and soldiers." In fact he was describing one soldier in one specific instance (and mind you not in the way you ascribe) so I will expect your retraction of that assertion, that he was referring to these vets or any "group" of vets in general, post haste.

2.) You wrote, "I have read the transcript and to say he was simply making an analogy is flat out untrue." Really? So if not an analogy then you are asserting he made a literal description or comparison in his statement. Where? Where did he literally call the "soldiers", which we now have established was in fact ONE soldier, a quote suicide bomber? How about saying (literally mind you since the claim of an analogy according to you is "flat untrue") that their actions were equivalent to "blowing yourself up in a crowded street." I mean if you have completely dismissed the possibility of a metaphorical analogy then surely you are able to back that up by pointing to the only thing left - a literal comparison in which he uses the words blowing yourself up in a crowded street. Hmmmm, not there is it? Well, absent a literal description all that is left is a metaphorical ANALOGY. It would seem your hate for all things Rush has caused you to cast aside English Comp I ... and II. No matter, I am here. In fact it is crystal clear that he was making a metaphorical analogy. Any one - outside of rabid Rush haters - can see this. I didn't say it was a "good" one, but one none the less. I will expect that retraction - that he did not make a metaphorical analogy and was in fact making a literal comparison, post haste as well.

3.) Moving on ...You wrote, "As far as I am concerned, this shows that Rush's respect and affection for American veterans applies only to those who do not question or consider the policy..." Again, really? He described the veteran whom verbally assails him in the ad as a quote, "HERO." Sounds like respect and affection to me. Curious as to why someone like you, whom has "read the entire transcript" missed such a powerful word as "hero." That's a mystery. In fact it is clear that he holds this soldier, even after the ad, in the highest regard. He has traveled to countless bases in theater to visit our men and never once, while posing for pictures and shaking the hands of the men, did he stop and ask first if they believed in Bush's Iraq policy. Not once. Any regular listener to the show would know that the regards in which he holds our soldiers, ALL soldiers, is surpassed by no other group of Americans. They have no greater champion in the media at large. So, I will expect a retraction - that Rush's respect and admiration for veterans applies only to those who do not question the policy - post haste as well. He called the man a hero - what more affection can one bestow?

4.)You wrote, "His disdain for service veterans that affiliate with this VetVote.org is shocking in its depth and unfortunate in the extreme." Titus, Titus, Titus. It is clear above that Limbaugh lays the blame for a distortion of his words at the feet at those whom have supplied the veteran, McGough, with his monologue and anti-Rush rhetoric. He describes what they did as the "blatant use of a valiant combat veteran, lying to him about what I said..." Now, since you read the "entire transcript" I am sure that in writing your little Rush piece that the word "VALIANT" simply slipped your mind and absent your recollection of Rush using words such as "hero" and "valiant" in describing this soldier, you were left with no other recourse than to assume that Rush in fact held "disdain" for this man and his associates. It would seem we have a second mystery indeed. Again, a retraction is warranted as I have demonstrated the use of adjectives on Rush's part that describe this man, an anti-Iraq policy and Bush vet, as a quote "hero" and "valiant." Disdain? Hardly. Rose colored glasses my friend, rose colored glasses.

Don't worry, I understand. It's early, the morning joe hasn't finished percolating, you sleepily activate your computer and as the Trevor & Titus Forever screen saver gives way to your opening web page you see that Rush has stepped in it again. "I knew it!" you exclaim with all the enthusiasm and wild of a child on Christmas morning. "Santa is real", "Rush is evil", and the sheer joy of the moment is so exhilarating, so heart poundingly enjoyable that what, what is this that is obscured in the corner, what is that small, little thing way off in the distance that I don't have time for while I dance to the orgasmic rhythm of Rush being wrong? Look close, don't blink, hold steady now... ah yes, the image is getting clearer now, its coming through, I can make out a letter, now two, it's... it's ... F-A-C-T-S.

And for any young political padewon out there reading this blog, THAT is how you take apart at the joints any argument born of hate.
FR

No comments: