Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Finally, a cause for European Union.

Talking with Baddboy this morning about the Georgian conflict with Mother Russia made me think about something.

At what point in recent (last 100 years) history have our allies in Europe been MORE capable of defending themselves than today, right now?

Baddboy was lamenting our (U.S. military) depleted European presence against a determined and belligerent Russia when it came to me. I mean seriously, I'm asking a historical question now. When from 1908 to 2008 was the last time Western Europe wasn't flat out naked?

My response was pre-Sudetenland annexation 1930's Europe. France, as one may recall, had a superb armor corps and a larger military than the Nazis. They also had an anchor called the Maginot Line and no concept of mobile warfare or how to break a meeting engagement. But horrible tactics and strategic thinking aside, they were capable. Far from naked.

Think about German, French and English armor versus even top of the line Russian armor and air. Not an American bullet, plane or tank to be seen and I STILL think it's better than 70% advantage Western Europe.

Thoughts?

No comments: