Thursday, August 21, 2008

More energy thoughts...

I know we've been over this for a while, but I was reading about McCain's energy thing he put out almost two weeks ago and it made me think.

He wants 45 nuclear power plants online by 2035. I mean 45 NEW nuclear power plants. So basically he's brining 1.7 plants online every year for the next 26 years. That doesn't sound so bad...

But it still comes to a little over $6.5 billion a year.

Now, I have no problem spending this on brand new domestic energy production. I am not a Hoover conservative. The feds spending almost two trillion a year doesn't phaze me in the least. So if McCain is going to throw, or at least get the ball rolling, best case scenario says he's got eight years, $55 billion in nuclear power production over the lifetime of his two term (again, we're all positive, right?)presidency...

$55 billion? Does that strike anyone else as...

Anemic? Light? Pale? Not enough?

Our annual budget by 2016 will well exceed 2 trillion. So just to be safe I'll use a safe number, 1.5 trillion. Per year it comes to less than 5% of our budget.

Now, granted, I'll be the first to say it's alternative, non petroleum, domestic power production. But is now the time to be putting ONLY 5% of our budget into this?

Remember the plan I was talking about a couple of weeks back? Same numbers, not even REPLACING the money spent on nuclear, and think of how many homes we have converted by just the end of McCain's second term? Instead of 2035 it's 2016 and how many millions of homes are wind/solar, very nearly stand alone power generators across the country?

Nothing like an approaching tropical system to make a person wonder about power.

No comments: