Thursday, August 14, 2008

I had a thought on my last ...

I always briefly read over my posts after they publish (after the technical difficulties I had at one point I just want to be sure its all there). And something occurred to me when I read that bit about Powell in the UN. I haven't listened to a shred of talk radio since the endorsement or even turned on the TV news, so if someone else picks up on this, I hope they will at least credit our site.

Remember the Bush's War special we all viewed? I eventually conceded that after you "wash off the biased BS" (as Jambo phrased it) that it was a very useful, even compelling look into an otherwise rarely broached circle. While watching it occurred to me that Powell's greatest career regret was making the Iraqi case at the UN. Remember his frantic last minute attempts at Intel verification, papers strewn all over the hotel room, his repeated calls to Tenet? He went in there to convince the world of the necessity of an Iraq invasion (namely based on wmd's) when he wasn't fully convinced himself. I remember looking in his eyes and at his face as he spoke of it and it was clear that the man felt a deep sense of not only regret, but as if he had let the country down - which is something I believe Powell takes seriously.

That being the case, could this endorsement have nothing to do with sour grapes? Nothing to do with a policy shift? Nothing to do with the first black president? But rather could his endorsement of the "get out now crowd" be his apology to history? In his eyes anyway, I personally think he has nothing to apologize for. But for him it could be his attempt to rectify enabling our invasion by endorsing a man whom would get us out the quickest. Or even setting aside withdrawal time tables, Obama is not only in the top 2 or 3 as of today, but as the nominee he is THE premier critic of the Iraq War - thus Powell's alignment, in his eyes, may somewhat "make-up" for his testimony at the UN. It helps to not only wipe his conscience clean so to speak, but he may think this endorsement leaves a better taste in the mouth's of historians. I think (due to his obvious regret over the WMD's controversy) he feels that supporting Obama moves the historical perspective on him from "invasion advocate", 180 degrees to "war critic", thus wiping the "mistake" (as he sees it) of his UN testimony clean.

Just a thought .... but I think my mark is accurate.

No comments: