Friday, October 2, 2009

That's mostly right, however ...

No you're right, he's not at all "in the pocket" (I would say "indebted" - they know where his bodies are buried) to the Chicago political machine. I mean with names like Daley & Blagovich how could corruption be possible in Illinois?

Look, first Rummy & Cheney weren't THE president. And if Bush went to bat for Dallas (where he now resides) as president with a infamous political machine / mayor nmae like "Daley", believe me, people would be talking. But that aside here is why I think this is relevant: He could of sent Michelle & Oprah (both of whom who went with him), whom are perhaps the 2 highest profile native Chicagoans after Obama himself, but he didn't. So you say "big deal", there are more important things he's dropping the ball on ... well I agree. But I think it is worth pointing out that it has been traditionally seen as "beneath" the president of the United States to do what at most (in government) Hillary's assistant should of done. You can mention those other heads of state, the Bishop, all you want - but they simply aren't on the level of a sitting US President (we're not talking morally in terms of the Bishop, I think you know what I mean here). But he doesn't care about "tradition", in particular traditions unique to the US, and I think it's worthy to make note of that.

My point is between that and the fact that the Chicago presentation lasted 45 minutes and he met with General McCrystal only 25 minutes on Air Force One while still in Copenhagen, is relevant because it tells us volumes about the Commander-in-chief. And while you or I have all the info we need on him to form an educated opinion, it is THESE sort of incidents that "everyone" gets - you have time to fly to Denmark for the Olympics but you've only spoken to McCrystal twice in 70 days, once for 90 minutes, the other for 25, forcing the general to take his case to 60 Minutes? I think the average Joe gets that on a gut level and thus it is worth illuminating ... that's all.

No comments: