Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I Remember.

I remember, as I'm sure we all do, where I was and what I was doing this morning 6 years ago. I was on my way out of the door to an English Comp II class at Jefferson Davis Community College. I stopped to kiss my 2 year old in his sleep. Little did I know, three days later, my second son would be born. I jumped in the car and immediately turned to my favorite AM talk radio station - 870AM out of New Orleans. And the wrong voice was on.

9/11 as we would all come to know it was occuring. I was listening to the story unfold, and then they reported that one of the towers had fallen. I raced down the highway, knowing there were televisions at school, and I noticed armed soldiers closing down entrances at the Hwy 90 side of the Veterans Administration. "I can only imagine the scramble going on at Keesler" I said to myself. The entire school was dead silent as I arrived, and door after door that I passed was open, no instruction, just a TV blaring and a quiet audience. I made my way to my Western Civ instructor - her classroom seemed the most appropriate for some reason - and I found a seat in the back. There we sat silently, unaware that we were watching the world change. Then the president came on and explained that "an apparent terrorist attack on our country" had occurred. I knew as I sat and listened to him utter those words that we would go on as adults to speak of this day in the same reverent tones as our parents did of November 22nd, 1963.

Yes, many images come to mind today. The fact that we were jolted awake to the realization that America was at war with radical Islam. That the safety we all took for granted in this nation had been forever shattered - oceans no longer protecting us. But as important, on this day each year, we should remember the good parents that died that day. The strong sons. The beautiful daughters. The favorite cousins. The dedicated husbands. The loving wives. The best friends.
All lost their life. Bedrooms, firehouses, police stations, family rooms, mornings, and nights ... they all go on being empty for the loved ones who lost someone on that day.

Each night my sons and I pray for the safety and success of our soldiers and their loved ones. Tonight we will add the families left behind on that day. I hope your families will do the same.
FR

No comments: