Thursday, January 14, 2010

Further reflections...

I just got back from making another pharmacy run for the child, and was listening to the news from Haiti and pondering the lessons I had personally learned from my own post-disaster experiences.

Of the four permanent members of the Bund, I hope we all have learned the importance of being able to "survive" for the first week after a disaster without assistance (in as much as we can, that is). Sufficient water, fuel and basic supplies to sustain moderately comfortable conditions without power or utilities is an absolute requirement, even in this ultra-modern age of instantaneous results. The images from Haiti that are the most devastating are those of people within the limits of a city of nearly half a million souls, and nearly all of them living in "sub-standard" or less-than-ideal circumstances... urban poor, in other words.

The continuing tragedy, however, is going to come from those living in impoverished rural areas when public services such as electricity, fuel and water are no longer working because of the devastation to the infrastructure combined with the lack of actual governmental or emergency services that even a nation as poor as Haiti has come to depend on. Free clinics stretched beyond the breaking point, roads that are impassable, bridges that have already or will fail, water conduits and aqueducts that cannot carry water, and entire water supplies contaminated beyond the ability to use safely. In the case of Haiti specifically, imagine how quickly the removal of dead bodies and even spoiled food is going to become a critical issue to avoid further complications from disease and cross contamination.

Prior to August 28, 2005, I was the sort of person that didn't put a lot of weight in the arguments that many "survival" enthusiasts made about preparing for the worst, even if it never happened... but Katrina fixed that. So, as I was driving and listening, I began pondering what I would be forced to do if a similar situation happened here in NEPA as that in Haiti (God forbid!) or on the Gulf Coast in '05... if a child was sick, there was no hopping into the car and driving to the pharmacy, there was no phoning for doctors or ambulances, and there was little to no hope of anyone getting to you at all for the first 72 hours WHATEVER the emergency.

I hope everyone here, and anyone reading this, takes the message to heart: Have what you need ON HAND for at least a week's worth of needs, stored in a manner that will keep it as safe and available as possible. We have no fewer than 25 gallons of water stored in 5-gallon bottles (and a means of dispensing it without power) at all times. We have alternative means of cooking in case we are without electricity for any amount of time. We have many (but perhaps not all) of the medicines and prescriptions we routinely need on hand and stored in case we cannot simply drive and get them. We have an impressive amount of food suited for long term storage (canned, dried, evaporated, etc) as well as many staples in low-bulk form (bags of beans, rice, and oats stored in a nice, DRY place). We even have the means to shelter ourselves should the "old homestead" become uninhabitable... camping gear and tents enough for all of us and lots of open ground to set them up on. Dual-fuel heaters and lamps, very utilitarian cookware (good old fashioned cast iron... there is nothing finer for durability) and a home located very close to two artesian water sources so that our potential water supply is indefinite.

I hope I don't sound too much the "paranoid militia-type" because I really am not that sort of a hard-corps survivalist... but this is simple common sense and it is something I hope we ALL learned from our mutual experiences after the hurricane.

How much death and suffering could have been or could be avoided had even a percentage of the people in Haiti had the above mentioned supplies on hand prior to the earthquake?

1 comment:

baddboy said...

Damn thing won't let me post again so I'll comment here.

My entire adult life has been dedicated in whole or in part to assisting people in need whether that be injured, ill or in some way oppressed. This hasn't been just by the nature of what I do occupationally but I'm sure it's a by-product.

My first hurricane was hurricane Elena in 1985 and that image burned in my head of neighbors and friends without roofs, my family not having a generator and most of the area at the time not having the financial resources we had after Katrina has driven me in some way to try and make a difference.

In 1992 after I got out of the military the first time Hurricane Andrew struck South Florida and Sourthern Louisiana with a force that this country hadn't seen in almost 30 years but due to the increase in population in the coastal areas and shotty construction techniques so many more people had to suffer. I was on a very well equipped and financed Rescue Squad in Maryland at the time and got permission to take one of our Heavy rescue vehicles and 4 personnel to Morgan City Louisiana to assist the fire department in any way we could. We carried our own food, water and peronal gear for a weeks stay. That experience has had me thinking for many years.

Government Agencies are too large, cumbersame and full of red tape to be able to move with any speed or efficiency. Large NGO's are also built with alot of red tape and usually don't have the resources for immediate needs that can be in place in less than 24 hrs post incident.

I have been running an idea through my head since 1992 to put together a light, fast well equipped and financed organization that has the capability to move into an area in less than 24 hrs practically anywhere in the world, assess needs and start delivering whatever necessary assistance inside of 48 hrs. I know is sounds like a pipedream and maybe it is but this incident in Haiti i guess is the straw that broke the camels back so I will be putting pen to paper here in the next couple of days to start soliciting financial assistance to start putting this group together.

I am not a business or finance type person. I am an operations management type so if any of you are interested in helping me put togehter the right package to send for sponsorship don't be shy. Jambo knows how to get hold of me and from you guys I'll take a phone call 24 hrs a day.