Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti


As I'm sure you're all aware a 7.4 earthquake rocked Haiti today. This is their "White House." You can view a slide show of the devastation here. I warn you though, the first picture alone is enough to send a cold shiver up your spine. Dead line the street, the capital is reportedly nearly destroyed, it is utter chaos.

And in an unfortunate note I heard, although have yet to confirm, the Arch Bishop of Haiti is among the casualties, along with his church. Our prayers go out to them all.

Obama has assembled a massive relief effort including our armed forces, without hesitation nor equivocation (as well he should). The US will by far have the most "relief" vested in this rescue and recovery in both men and material. He gave a forceful speech on the subject (again I say, as well he should) and the full weight of the federal government has been applied.

Now besides the obvious humanitarian reasons for mentioning this story, I want to make a small observation if I may. Not to be crass, but I think this is a valid notation ... I wish that the President of the United States responded so forcefully, so directly and requisited as much attention and resources to confronting our enemies as he does in responding to a natural disaster. For they are just as real.

Our prayers go out to the dead, wounded, the families that survive them and those brave souls risking life and limb to aide the innocent ... in Haiti, Afghanistan and Iraq.

No comments: