Monday, January 18, 2010

I may not be able to rasie a barn ...

... but as Jambo text me, "We are a Conservative Think Tank", so I'll raise a salient point instead.

I was certain that multiple Constitutional issues would be raised were a health care bill REQUIRING an individual to purchase health insurance passed into law. In fact multiple briefs are prepped (I have heard) and are set to be filed the moment Obama signs the bill. And in that vein I recently learned that in both the House & Senate version of "Obama-care" there is an "Amish Exception." The Amish will be allowed to opt out based on the freedom of religious practice. So that got me thinking ... the SCOTUS has held that "religion", and the practice thereof, can be interpreted as "personal beliefs." And as such could I not then file a "Conscientious Observer" exception to opt out were this thing to become the law of the land? If this is an acceptable objection to claim when abstaining from combat then surely it would suffice / hold up in court to avoid forced enrollment & participation in government health care.

Just a thought ...

*(& I'll be on the Japanese question in short order)*

No comments: