Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I got some time now...

Ryan sends a text about the Coakley-Brown race in MA and that Brown is going to win the first GOP Senate seat in that state since 1953, when Henry Cabot Lodge lost his re-election bid.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like Brown, and I think he'll win today... he has all the momentum right now, and the press is making much more of his run for office then they are Coakley's. History shows us that the "up-and-coming" candidate wins 79% of the time when the press is giving him favorable coverage (as was the case with Teddy back in 1962, by the way, when he ran against Henry Cabot Lodge's son and won a very close race, I believe, because of all the hype with his brother being President).

I have reservations, though... not about Brown, but about Ryan's support of Brown. Mark my words, because Brown is an avowed "moderate" when it comes to social justice issues, Ryan will be cursing the day he got elected within one year. Still, it will remove the 60-seat majority and the filibuster-proof control of the Senate that the Dems now have, and it is going to put a huge damper on the health care bill passage that so many of these Dems are banking on.

I just wish he wasn't a Calvinist... seems like all the conservative candidates from MA are either Mormons or Calvinists. Where did all the good Catholics go?

No comments: